Leinster GAA Br Bosco Cup, Senior “A” Football Quarter-Final

February 10, 2024

Our senior football team faced Coláiste Choilm,Tullamore in the Br Bosco Cup Semi-Final last Friday, 2nd February in Killucan.

Despite the unfavourable weather conditions and final score, each player gave it their all throughout the game and the school community are tremendously proud of their efforts.

 After weeks of preparation, hard work and tremendous dedication, the team and their mentors, Mr. Joe Coogan, Mr. Shane O Rourke and Mr. Lorcan Burns were deeply disappointed to be edged out in the final minutes of the match despite leading for the majority of the game.

The St. Pat’s players battled hard throughout the match but were unable to stop the late surge of the Tullamore team in the last ten minutes of the match.

Despite the great support in Killucan from family, staff, friends of St. Pat’s and fellow students throughout the match, it turned out to be a bitter end to the senior football campaign for our team and mentors this year.


Please find below the detailed match report from our school sports reporter TY student Liam Devine and match photos from Finn Martin and Billy Bermingham.


Match Report

 St Pats Navan Vs Coláiste Choilm   Tullamore


St Pat’s started off very fast with two quick scores from a free by Fionnan O’Connor and a great score from Billy Smyth within the first five minutes.

Tullamore replied with a goal from Niall furlong shortly after they got their first point of the day giving them a two point lead.

In the 10th minute St Pat’s intercepted Tullamore in their 45 after applying pressure, Pats looked to have a great goal scoring opportunity when Cian Commons was through but it ended up being a point after a great save from the tullamore goalkeeper

Commons added to his tally twice again five minutes after with two frees with a strong breeze behind him.

Both sides exchanged points in the 20th minute.

Andrew Gormley was a constant threat for St Pat’s and he was involved in a move that ended up in the St Pat’s goal on 23rd minute. Conor Donohoe found Gormley with a pass. He, in turn, fed Smyth who was fouled. The same player got up for the penalty, dusted himself off and despatched the ball to the net with calm assurance. The goal helped greatly to secure that interval advantage. 

After both teams not scoring in nearly ten minutes Tullamore tapped over a free in the 31st minute making it a three point game going into the break

Half Time Score:  St Pats 1-6 to Tullamore 1-3

Tullamore Started off the second half stronger with a strong breeze behind them scoring a point in the first five minutes.

In the 40th minute Andrew Gormely did very well to win a free and Cian Commons tapped it over

With eight minutes on the clock St Pat’s looked poised to kick on and win the game.

They were winning 1-9 to 1-6 shooting into a strong breeze up a slope.

Then it all started to go awry. Tullamore found a new source of energy.

 They scored one point, then another. By the hour mark they made it a level game for the first time since throw up.

Tullamore ticked over two more points scored by Cian Bracken to ensure their win.

Making it another year of heartbreak for St Pats against Tullamore.

Full Time score: St Pats Navan 1-9  Coláiste Choilm Tullamore 1-11


St Pats scorers – Cian Commons 0-6 five frees; Billy Smyth 1-2; Fionnan O’Connor 0-1 free

St Patrick’s CS, Navan – James Norris (Seneschalstown); Fionn McHale (Dunderry), Sean McLoughlin (Dunderry), Tadgh Murray (St Ultan’s); Oisin O’Neill (Dunderry), Matthew Kealy (Slane), Sean Betson (Navan O’Mahonys); Darren O’Brien (Seneschalstown), David Donnelly (Bective); Fionnan O’Connor (Walterstown), Cian Commons (Seneschalstown), Harry Cahill (Dunsany); Andrew Gormley (Gaeil Colmcille), Billy Smyth (Skryne), Conor Donohoe (Skryne). Subs – James Donnelly (Bective) for Cahill, Jamie